What's In The Bag?

What's In The Bag?


Your labor bag that is. Below is my go to bring alongs. Maybe you'll find something new.

With my first I had a very long, very intense labor. I packed way to much stuff and used maybe half of it, but I was grateful for all of it. With my second, I packed lighter but I wish I'd brought more.

First off- that giant water bottle. Typically the labor and deliver floors will bring you a water bottle. But there is still some that think a laboring mom should not eat or drink during labor. Makes no sense.

Secondly- Snacks. Nice protein filled snacks for right after baby comes. Granola bars, beef jerky, Powerade... So you don't have to wait for meal times to roll around. Chances are you won't deliver your little one even close to meal time. And you will both starving and exhausted. At least I sure was.

Thirdly- comfort items. Your pillow, comfy night gown- whatever makes you feel more calm and at rest. I brought my pillow, several comfy clothing options, and some essential oils for a less hospital room feel.

4th- All the blue Dermoplast. Stuff is a God send. For numbing all the sore spots. I put it on those big giant pads they give you. Magic no matter how you delivered.

5th- Your own shower stuff. That tiny thin hospital towel does not equal comfort for me. I brought all my own stuff because I wanted to feel normal ish as possible in a completely not homey place.

6th- Reusable rice heating pack. I had hubby microwave it for me and place it on my lower back to help relieve lower back pain. Very helpful. Also consider bringing a vibrating back massager for your partner to use on your back. If it relieves pain and distracts you then it's probably a good call.

7th- Yoga ball. Most labor wards have this available to you but if you can somehow pack yours deflated- it might come in handy.

8th- New baby items. Hospitals give you all the essentials. Like diapers, swaddles, wipes, and pacifiers. But here are some things to bring from home. Going home outfits, cute things for photo ops, and maybe a sentimental item. I brought a few swaddles, two cute outfits in bigger and smaller sizes, and a couple of photo props. As a photographer I totally packed a letter board, a whole basket set up, and a couple hat options. I don't recommend. Hire someone to take that off your plate. So you can just snuggle and recover. I missed a few things that someone else wouldn't have.

9th- Feeding items for baby- Boppy pillow for support, nipple cream and nursing pads, and possibly even your breast pump. If you need or have one. That was one of things I had to send my husband home for with my daughter.

10th- Stool softener. I am not going to describe this. Just do it. Thank me later. Ha!

11th- Paperwork- Oh joy! Sarcasm. But so necessary. So don't forget to pack all that in a folder and make sure it's handy.

12th- Electronics. Phone charger/phone. Definitely don't forget this so you can reach out to family and friends with the big news.

13th- Lastly! Congratulations on your babe! Enjoy all the snuggles you can get! These are magical fleeting moments.

If your near me and interested in capturing these first moments- call me! I'd love to chat about coming to the hospital to meet your cute family. And to capture those first moments before they slip away. O. Photographic Art offers many options for baby photos within those first few weeks. So don't delay getting in touch with me!

Comments

Popular Posts